Prospective Applicant (please review):
The mission of Lone Star Distillery is to create, build and sustain a profitable, family-owned and -operated whiskey distillery that makes the best-tasting bourbon whiskey in America, and in turn, supports and nourishes our families, the families of those who work with us, and the community in which we operate.
- We value God, family, friends and our country, foremost, but we always welcome strangers.
- We value and respect our leaders, our elders and each generation that has come before us.
- We value our children and the children of others and we strive to always assure their well-being. We will take whatever steps necessary to ensure their safety.
- We value hard work, integrity, and honesty, and the independence, health and well-being that result from each.
- We value the land and that which it produces; and we work to preserve, conserve and respect the natural resources that make our business worth pursuing and our lives worth living.
- We value the peace, quiet and tranquility that are increasingly difficult to find in the modern world. We like our privacy and our independence.
- We value good health, personal accountability, and moderation for ourselves, our families, our employees, and our friends.
We take this values statement seriously and we strive to assure that anyone who joins our company — and thus our family — shares these values. Prior to applying for this position, please assure that these values reflect your own. If they don’t, this may not be the best place for you.
On-site Events Coordinator Posted 9/1/19
Garrison Brothers Distillery, located in beautiful Hye, Texas, is looking for an events and meetings coordinator (Events Wrangler) to join our family. This highly versatile individual will work directly with the Hospitality Manager (Trail Boss) to coordinate meetings and events, weddings, parties, maintain meeting notes, coordinate with caterers, bands, event planning companies and maintain organized contact lists.
This person is our contact with the outside world: our spokesperson, our cheerleader, our salesperson and the public face of Garrison Brothers Distillery. When events are not in motion, this person will assist our hospitality team.
Organization and communication are key attributes. The individual will maintain and update paper and electronic files and must be fluent with email and scheduling. The Events Wrangler should also be familiar and fluent with social media such as Facebook and Twitter and will frequently coordinate updates and edits to the company’s website, working with our social media manager.
Garrison Brothers Distillery’s on-site events manager will be responsible for executing tourism activities and special events at the distillery. They should view the distillery as a venue to be used for profitability but also as a marketing and promotional tool. Because we believe that Good Bourbon Can Change the World, often the events we orchestrate will raise money for a charitable organization.
Reporting to the Trail Boss, this position’s primary responsibility will be coordinating and executing all on-site events and meetings. Past events have included a locals-only Prohibition Repeal Day Egg Nog Party, our “Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner” luncheon (during the Stonewall Peach Jamboree and Rodeo), and Bourbon Camp, which is held annually for our Old 300 Ambassadors. In the future, we will be hosting outdoor concerts, chef-hosted pairing dinners, industry nights, movie nights and a wide assortment of distillery tours for individuals and special groups. Additionally, they will be a key member of our Hospitality Team, well-versed in the history and culture of Garrison Brothers, able to give an enthusiastic tour of our beautiful facility, pour and describe a flight of our various bourbons, and even bus a dirty table. Everyone in our company wears multiple hats and this position will be no different.
The individual will work primarily from the distillery in Hye, but will frequently travel between Hye and Austin for meetings, or visit venue partners in nearby Fredericksburg. We want to support neighboring business as we do our own. The person who holds this position should really like hanging out on a ranch in the beautiful Texas Hill Country because they are going to be there a lot.
This is not a short-term or part-time job. If you’re looking for a part-time, stepping-stone job, please do not apply. We expect this individual to grow as the business grows and to always seek out and take on greater responsibility. You will become part of the family. Only disciplined, motivated and responsible adults should apply.
General Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Adhere to company rules for safety and security precautions and assure adherence to safety and security precautions by staff and sub-contractors
- Be creative, proactive and vocal about solutions that will improve efficiency, productivity, quality and the bottom line
- Lead or assist with design, interior design, decoration and landscaping projects that are necessary or desirable
- Report to work in a timely and consistent manner.
- Act professionally
- Promptly answer phone and email inquiries about tour times and event information
- Tend bar; pour samples for visitors; Make and serve snacks for visitors.
- Manage the cash registers at the gift shop and catalog merchandise sales income
- Learn everything possible about good bourbon; share everything possible about good bourbon with our visitors
- Have a great sense of humor; Have an attitude
- Tell jokes; Listen to jokes and laugh heartily at them, even if they’re not funny
- Put up with our annoying, self-absorbed proprietor and the rest of the unruly staff
- Play practical jokes on the owner and the staff
- Complete and unwavering commitment to the company’s mission, values statement and product
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs. several times a day
- Ability to start a fire in our fire pit and keep it going on cold days
- Going up and down stairs several times a day
- Standing for long periods of time
- Loyalty and Commitment
- Honesty and Integrity
- Enthusiasm/High Energy
- Team Player
- Common Sense
- Positive Self-Esteem
- Balanced attitude with work and home life
- Ability to deal with pressure
- Must be attentive when it comes to organization and keeping things neat
- Strong moral character
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Recognizes his or her critical role in the operation of the business
- Take responsibility for mistakes, errors and omissions; Own up immediately
- Familiarity and understanding of production equipment, mechanics and machinery
- Can work a smart phone, and computer, well
- Genuinely cares for the welfare of other staff; tries to do what’s right
- Demonstrates leadership and vision
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style
- A commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
- Excels at operating in a fast-paced environment
- Leads by example; willing to do the hard jobs before asking anyone else to
- Ability to challenge and debate issues of importance to the company
- Ability to look at situations from several points of view
- High comfort level working in a diverse environment
Additional Desirable Skills and Attributes:
- A Sick Sense of humor. This is critical.
- A great smile and outgoing personality
- Texan To The Bone, And Damn Proud Of It.
- Not afraid to speak in front of crowds. You will be doing this all day long.
- A pleasant speaking voice. Hell, sing if you want to.
- Able to get along with all types of people
- Able to smile and say, “Well aren’t you precious,” when you really want to strangle your boss
- Must look decent without make-up because you will sweat it off during the day.
Anticipated Work Schedule:
- Five days a week initially (most likely Wednesdays through Sundays) and occasional short stints on odd days
- Hours are still rather fluid but most likely will be 9:30 am to 5:30 pm, except when special events are planned or travel is necessary. These days will be longer.
- Taking paid vacation time will be required, but we’ll ask you to give us at least a month’s advance notice of the dates
- We offer healthcare, dental care, 401k matching and all the bourbon you can drink.
Some event coordination/management experience is required. However, there are some similar career experiences that could be of benefit to you in this position. If you have any of this type of experience, we’re going to give your resumé a closer look.
- Waiting tables
- Retail store manager
- Merchandise design, production and ordering management
- Tour director
- Restaurant or bar manager
- Prison warden
- Chamber of commerce or CVB manager
- Road manager for a rock and roll band
- Hospitality manager at a country club, hotel or theme park
- Hotel, resort of golf course manager
- Flight attendant
Candidates who live in the general area of Blanco and Gillespie Counties will be given special consideration. Since the distillery will become your second home, we don’t want you driving long distances.
Candidates who reside between south Austin and north San Antonio will still be considered but must exhibit the personal discipline and responsibility to stay overnight in Hye if they’re too exhausted to drive home. Safe, comfortable and private overnight accommodations are available at the distillery.
Veterans of the armed forces will also receive special consideration.
If you feel you have what it takes to be a part of the Garrison Brothers family, we’d love to hear from you. Please email a short cover letter and resume to Austin@garrisonbros.com with “On-site Events Manager Position” in the subject line.